Subject: [Leica] Woman and Dog
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:31:58 -0500

;~)
a hypothetical built on a hypothetical
;~)

I truly appreciate color when well used;
whether in photographs, paintings or sculptures.
In each case the artist must make deliberative color choices.
Choosing a monochrome palette
is no different than choosing:
a "full, as seen" palette
a muted "agfachrome"
a complementary
a vibrant "velvia"
a primary, or secondary
or an "infrared" palette.

Too often I look at photographs
wherein the moment and light feels lost
under the weight of of the color.

I enjoy the often quoted,
"photography is just another form of pointing."
"a hey, look at this." ?>
which includes
"hey, look at this ?> COLOR
or
"Look at this ?> light, form, moment, expression, line, value, event,
composition, et al

always worth considering
"what do I want you to look at and/or think about while looking at
this photograph"
often my answer is,
"not these colors."

probably because
I've spent 50 years loving
the poetic effect
and simplicity
of black and white photographs

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog
http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist

On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Neil Beddoe wrote:

> Somebody asked me once whether anyone would print black and white
> if colour photography had been invented first.  I don't know but I
> think it would be a lot less common.

>>> http://photo.net/photos/lluisripoll
>>> Blog: