Subject: [Leica] Women
From: stikwa at comcast.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:36:46 -0700

On Jul 25, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Tina Manley wrote:

> At 10:42 PM 7/24/2009, you wrote:
>> Let every one use his own judgment - culture differs from country to
>> country. I for one refuse to take photographs of the very poor,
>> homeless,
>> street dwellers, slum dwellers, beggars, etc which is a staple of
>> every
>> visitor to the third world, and it leaves me angry that you take
>> advantage
>> of people who cannot fight back, and strip them of what little
>> dignity they
>> possess. To me that is much worse than a woman's bottom.
>> Cheers
>> Jayanand
>
> Or you could reaffirm their dignity by photographing them.  The
> first medical mission I went on, I very carefully photographed the
> mission doctors and nurses at work and avoided photographing local
> campesinos.  A local girl asked me why I was photographing my
> friends and not her family.  Were they not good enough to waste my
> film on?  Was it because they had brown skin and were not
> beautiful?  That's when I started staying with families and
> photographing them and taking the photos back to give them.  They
> are very proud, beautiful people and they want to be photographed.
> Ask them.

while I fully understand Jayanand's feelings...I do agree with Tina
that there is a way of photographing the poor, the sick, and the
downtrodden that affirms them, respects and maintains their
dignity...  and actually empowers them in a way that may be  helpful
and beautiful.

I struggled hugely with this difficult issue when I photographed ill
children, and I hope I succeeded.

Steve