Subject: [Leica] Women
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:47:20 -0400

At 10:42 PM 7/24/2009, you wrote:
>Let every one use his own judgment - culture differs from country to
>country. I for one refuse to take photographs of the very poor, homeless,
>street dwellers, slum dwellers, beggars, etc which is a staple of every
>visitor to the third world, and it leaves me angry that you take advantage
>of people who cannot fight back, and strip them of what little dignity they
>possess. To me that is much worse than a woman's bottom.
>Cheers
>Jayanand

Or you could reaffirm their dignity by photographing them.  The first
medical mission I went on, I very carefully photographed the mission
doctors and nurses at work and avoided photographing local
campesinos.  A local girl asked me why I was photographing my friends
and not her family.  Were they not good enough to waste my film
on?  Was it because they had brown skin and were not
beautiful?  That's when I started staying with families and
photographing them and taking the photos back to give them.  They are
very proud, beautiful people and they want to be photographed.  Ask them.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Women)