Subject: [Leica] speaking of cars violently OT
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:53:04 +0100

Pagani Zonda.
For "frequent" use Ferrari 599.
For daily use Porsche 911 turbo.
For pure driving Lotus anything.

There are lots of cars about which have fancy styling and are "2 seat
limos" with loads of kit, weight and electronic driving aids to make
them easy to drive for less good drivers.
These are great pose-mobiles and practical for a rich person of
limited talent to show-off in.

I may have left some out, I am neither wealthy enough nor interested
enough to study in detail. Weight is the most important chassis
parameter for performance. Road cars are to a great extent a fashion
item and image statement. Published stuff tends to be acceleration and
top speed. It is possible to get impressive figures for these without
much chassis sophistication at all. Since weight is currently not
something fashionable to minimise "supercars" are now as heavy as
trucks, hence no longer supercars IMO. This Bugatti thing weighs the
same as 2 Ford GT40s!

To put perspective on this, +10kg on a F1 car loses over 0.3 secs per
lap.

Frank