Subject: [Leica] Chills on the lack of the OVF on.. *Olympus* E-P1
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:24:09 +0100

I think that producing a quality zooming optical viewfinder and
correctly linking it to the lens mounted on the camera would probably
quadruple the manufacturing cost, or more, and it would not be a
sufficiently compelling feature to sell in sufficient numbers to
justify production. An astonishing number of people find it acceptable
to hold their camera up in the air and compose on the screen on the
back, even believing they can achieve sharp results that way. I do not
think it will ever happen.
OTOH perhaps there is a big enough market for a high quality
electronic viewfinder. I find the benefit of the Panasonic G1
viewfinder is that is big and bright, and the quality is better than I
expected. I find the downsides to be different irritations than using
a small dim reflex viewing system common to inexpensive small sensor
SLRs, personally. In poor light they are even quite bright. Overall
far from perfect, and different from that I am used to, but an
appealing set of compromises non the less.
If the Olympus was the same size and had a small screen on the back to
service the menus but a super quality EVF top left, I would have
ordered one already. Unfortunately that is too different to the norm
for the majority of upgrading P&S customers (the target market for
Olympus) to accept. IMO.
Frank