Subject: [Leica] a quick hello
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:06:15 -0400

I don't see that much functional difference between an M8 and a DSLR
coupled with small prime lenses. If you compare a DSLR with a big zoom
then sure there's a difference. Somehow, though, I can't envision that a
APS Nikon body with a Cosina 20, 45P or 100E is going to make people --
photographer or photographee -- too uncomfortable. I've also seen big
prints (40 inches though not mine) from Nikon APS cameras that are
absolutely stunning.

I have a D700. The two lenses that I've used most of late are a 28/2.8
Elmarit R and 90/2.8 Elmarit R. While that outfit is more cumbersome
than an M8 with similar focal lengths, it's not that cumbersome. I don't
own an M8, but I do own and use two M6's, which I assume would be pretty
comparable to an M8. With the D700 I give up a little size, but I also
get a little in return; like low light performance flexibility to use
zooms.

With lenses 60 mm and longer I'm more proficient with the the D700. I
just like TTL viewing with telephoto lenses. With WA's (i.e. 24-35) it's
a wash. I like either TTL or rangefinder. When I get to super wides (21
or wider),  I prefer to use a rangefinder.

There are times I wish I had an M8. But I did a lot of soul searching
regarding the fact that I really only need one digital camera body. I
opted for a DSLR. I decided that I can do everything with a DSLR that I
can do with an M8, but not visa versa.

I've yet to see a zoom lens outperform a good prime. But then zooms have
their advantages. Also, corner performance on a smaller chip will always
be better than on a larger chip, unless there's something really wrong
with the lens.

DaveR