Subject: [Leica] Arbusing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:37:59 -0400

What ever you think emulate means, George.
Most my friends wanted to emulate or be like or rip off whatever you want to
call it HCB, Henri Cartier Bresson when we all started out in the mid to
late 70's. He was our main object of impersonation. Plagiarism. Caricature.
We were all using 28's and 24's on Nikon SLR's;
And he had been using 50's not 35's on Leica rangefinders.

Few of our shots looked much like his.
And we had a misinterpreted idea of how he went about shooting.

When a few of us figured out he was using not wides but a 50 and we did the
same we did a better job.

And when a few of us figured out the stuff you get from a rangefinder is not
quite the same as what you get from a SLR and we tried that we came a bit
closer still.

I have yet to find out what he had for breakfast every morning I have Wheat
Chex but when I do I'm sure I'll give that a go for at least a month. See if
I get more keepers.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Arbusing)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Arbusing)