Subject: [Leica] Arbusing
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 15:49:52 -0500

precisely Mark,
each of us sought to,
perhaps continues to,
emulate aspects of those we admire(d).

As a youngster I wanted to emulate:

Adams' technical understanding of the craft of tonal control
(more than his landscape photographs)

Weston's "flame of recognition"
(more than his peppers and nautilus photographs)

HCB's composition and geometry
(as much or even more than the decisiveness of his moments)

Man Ray's visual playfulness and mixing of media and metaphor

Any artist, in any medium,
who captures and expresses the pulse of life
(no matter the brand of guitar, typewriter, camera, format, lens,
film, digital, whatever)

That said:
every time I hear a vintage Martin Guitar played well
I love the sound;
every time I see a well executed photograph made with Leica glass
I love the look;

and I truly miss standing under a dark cloth
looking at the world upside down
on an 8x10 ground glass.

Regards,
George Lottermoser