Subject: [Leica] Why are these birds called boobies?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:14:39 +0100

The term booby still exists in (UK) english, although these days it would be
regarded as antiquated (like, for example, "popinjay". My 197x CHambers
Dictionary gives: " A lubberly lout; a stupid fellow; a boy at the bottom of
his
class; a sea bird of the gannet tribe, absurdly easy to catch". I believe
that
the name was given to the bird by the Spaniards because it was clumsy
("stupid")
on land and hence easy to catch.

Peter Dzwig