Subject: [Leica] 1964 World's fair pics
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 21:58:15 -0400

I was there the summer after my first year in college. My buddy Bill
Brandon and I drove there in his very cool 1955 Buick convertible.
What style we drove around the city in! A road trip to NYC was an
Excellent Adventure for two young guys from small-town Ohio.
Fortunately, my aunt and uncle lived there in an apartment overlooking
the East River, and showed us around. He was a mover and shaker in the
young world of TV advertising and got us tickets for The Tonight Show
with Johnny Carson; we saw Theodore Bikel, whose singing I adored, and
the TV puppeteer Shari Lewis. [There was a beautiful girl who was
introduced before the taping as the "focus girl" for the cameras, and
Bill used this to rudely recall a pun about three brothers who named
their cattle ranch "FOCUS"?because it's where the "sons raise meat".]
I remember first encountering touch-tone telephones at the fair. The
Uniroyal tire is something I see every time I drive up I-75 from
Toledo to Detroit; now I know where it comes from.

I took pictures with my high school graduation gift, an M2X (I think
that's correct--without the self-timer?), probably on K25. I don't
know where they are, but I'm in the process of revisiting all my
slides and scanning those that I want to hand to my sons in the form
of a DVD so they can see some of the adventures their old dad had.
When I find them, I'll be glad to post a few.

?howard

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] George ?)
Message from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] George ?)
Message from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] (SPAM: ?) 1964 World's fair pics)