Subject: [Leica] 8 or 8.2
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 18:17:04 +0100

Ric,

Decisions, decisions...

My first M8 was an ex-demo.  My second, which arrives in a week or so,
will also be an ex-demo.  It comes with full warranty, so makes
excellent sense in my humble opinion.

The savings compared to the 8.2 are huge - even if I could afford the
M8.2, I couldn't justify it on the grounds that as far as image quality
is concerned, there is absolutely no difference.

So the body covering is more grippy - get the hand grip or a thumbs-up
if this is a concern.

The quieter shutter might be nice, given that you do a lot of street
photography, but personally, I don't think the M8's shutter is too
intrusive.  I'm not bothered either way about the fastest shutter speed
being 1/8000or 1/4000.

The sapphire LCD glass is also nice - but I don't know how easy (or
hard) it is to hurt the existing LCD cover.  I hope not to find out.

As for the snapshot mode - it's not really appropriate on a camera like
the M8 in my view, but it doesn't do any harm.  Anyway, with Auto ISO
and Auto, it's virtually the same isn't it?

As far as the precision or otherwise of the viewfinder, you do get used
to it, though I must admit the 50/75mm framing is irritating sometimes.

I also use a Canon 20D which, as everyone knows has a reflex viewfinder.
  The pictures always show more than what the viewfinder shows.  I
suspect that this is the case with the majority of DSLRs, with the
probable exception of a few top end bodies.

What I do know is whatever model you go for, you will make excellent use
of it and I look forward to seeing the results!

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk