Subject: [Leica] IMG: swine flu slide show
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:15:06 -0700

On Apr 27, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> George/Steve,
> Tell me, is this another Bird Flu where all of 100 people died
> worldwide in the "epidemic" and everyone wore blue masks on flights
> for months out of panic, Singapore would not let people with a cold
> enter the country? Its more dangerous to drive a car or cross the
> road! Media hype whipping up mass hysteria! These sort of diseases are
> usually totally localised and minor. I would tell the media to hype
> finding a preventive cure for malaria or typhoid or cholera or similar
> proven mass killers if they want to help humanity at large.

it is hard to know just yet what this will be Jayanand...  it may be
over reaction based on early data from Mexico, but infections
elsewhere, while occurring at a high rate, don't seem especially
severe, and the mortality rate outside of  Mexico appears far lower
than in that country...

curious... !

yet we recall the flu epidemic starting in 1918 when 20-100 million
people died during 2 years....and for various good reasons scientists
have predicted a severe new flu variant for the past 5-6 years, and
have been working during that time on a new vaccine as well as
containment scenarios for an expected epidemic....

let's not be too hasty to draw conclusions about the direction this
will take...

in any case, something potentially bad is going on here that demnds
careful evaluation and explanation, before we can safely draw
conclusions.

to be sure, at this point something about the situation just doesn't
smell right to me, so far it appears to be a very aggressive virus in
terms of human to human rates of spread, showing apparently  very high
pathogenicity/& mortality rate in one country, with low pathogenicity
elsewhere...

various explanations are possible, among them, either something is
wrong with the data. or the virus has already changed...

Steve

>>> http://www.imagist.com/blog