Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:13:35 +0100

There's a story in the UK about a printer called Larry Bartlett (now
deceased), he looked at the competition entries for the photographic
awards and noted that all of them were dramatic but were all placed on a
floor for the initial inspection printed on with a white border. He came
up with a template that allowed him to place a white keyline on the
picture's edge and make the rest of the border black. That year his
photographers won every photojournalist awards in the UK. (do a search
for "Tom Stoddart" who was one of Bartlett's photographers).

Next year when other printers were copying the technique he introduced
another white line equally spaced all around the image. Once again his
photographers won.

These may be the first exampled of "judge psychology manipulation".

Another interesting thing was that he always printed on resin coated
paper. It never buckled or warped due to humidity changes and was not
distinguishable when on the judge's floor.

He was an interesting guy, he killed himself a few months after the
newspaper shut the darkroom down where he'd worked for ~20 years. He was
the chief of the Royal Photographic Society's Darkoom Panel, a position
which he got when he submitted his work anonymously, was immediately
awarded the highest accolade (being a Fellow, I believe) and inside a
week was voted to head it.