Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:15:13 +1000

Exposing to the right is better defined as using more of the brighest stop
to capture a larger range of tones or to use as much of your dynamic range
as possible. The intent is to capture the widest possible range of tones so
that the image is more robust when all of the following manipulation is
performed. That may or may not be the best practical technique, dependant on
your purpose.  Over-exposing may result in clipping. You may be able to
recover some of that information if one or more channels are not clipped,
but you may lose accuracy by doing that. It is a recovery technique not an
aim. In fact most accomplished photographers on this list that regularly
show their work choose to slightly under-expose rather than risk clipping.
All Raw files need some conversion before you can view them at all.
Typically a large gamma curve is applied to approximate our perception in
any case. A linear conversion will show you a very dark, flat image. The
idea of any particular 'default' conversion beyond that being the only
correct standard is invalid. For example any default conversion based on
approximating a camera's default jpeg output will typically crush the darks
and highlights and increase the saturation and contrast for impact.
This particular interesting issue that Tina has introduced seems to me to be
about interpretation of the rules by the judges and entrants. For my taste
these shots appear un-natural but very effective and striking images. Simply
one viewer's opinion.Whether they fit someone's idea of  photojournalism is
rather a different aspect. Were they to appear as front page reporting, I
think that it has been recently established that the photographer would get
fired.

Replies: Reply from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy)
Message from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy)