Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:48:41 -0400

The Raws were poor?
The Raws here were being illustrated as being flat and over exposed.
Had the Raws been illustrated correctly or differently no one would be
calling them "poor". Perhaps they'd be called slightly below average?
Or slightly above.
And the contrast between the Raw and the psd or jpg would be nowhere near as
great. He burned down the sky and ground and optimised those selected areas.
Big deal.
We don't know what the circumstances of who got that raw image rendered what
his so called "default settings" were on his raw plug in or whatever it was.
No one understands this stuff.
Its supposed to be like a negative;
Or in this case perhaps a positive, an over exposed slide.
We don't really know it was over exposed; or flat.
It could have been the opposite.
But its more complicated than that as it has to be opened with so called
"default" settings which means what? No one knows. Someone said it depends
on which software you used, which plug it; but its the settings.

Let's face it. It was you, Charley.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke) ([Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy)