Subject: [Leica] Crisis, Recession & DLUX4 opinions.
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:50:55 +0100

The DLux-4 is my obsession I "gave up" professional photography 9 years
ago when carrying around 2 M6's lenses from 28 to 90mm and an FM2n with
an 80-200 and a 20mm became too much. 6 Years ago when my son was born I
got a D100 but although I had a brief spurt it proved too heavy for me,
but I had a dream that one day there would be a 28 f2 to 50mm fast
aperture digital compact that I'd be able to use. On 1st April my wife
had her Ricoh on her and I took the "funny shot" (not sure if someone
was playing an april fools with those benches I only noticed te date
last night) and then thought I'd see what was available for compacts,
That night I had the panasonic version on order, but they ran out of
stock. I phoned around London and found that Jacobs had 2 Dlux's due to
be delivered to Chelsea and I got on a train immediately (I'm quite
disabled and sensitive to vibration). I got the camera and then spent 3
days recovering.

I've spent most of my time tuning the camera to not do things by itself,
I have the viewfinder on order because I have quite strong opinions
about brightline viewfinders and how they improve eye contact and
composition (although when I was a professional I did the ocassional PR
job where I wasn't taken seriously because of my M6 "compact").
Hopefully I'll be able to keep the camera on me, though I don't go out
much, I'm kicking myself because on the way to Chelsea a woman bumped
into my walking stick as she came out of a house, her chauffeur compete
with peaked cap held the door open to a ?300 SAAB 9000 complete with
faded paintwork and rust, so that will have to be the "one that got
away". The only downsides to the DLUX so far are not being able to zoom
to fixed settings at 24,28,35,50 and 60mm (my wife's ricoh has that
option except from 28mm to 85), the optics for a zoom are quite
incredible, I find the capture one software of little benefit, The
shutter lag is not bad, but I'm slow to operate a camera nowadays
anyway, all the program modes are not really suitable for a serious
camera, the colour rendition of pinhole is nice but I'd like to remove
the vignette and do it in photoshop (although it's not really my thing).

Enough wittering and back to training myself to find the buttons with my
eyes closed.
Philip.