Subject: [Leica] Question about Film
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:19:28 -0400

Gary,

Assuming that the aperture and shutter speed can be set manually on this
camera (which appears to be the case, from what I've seen on the internet),
you have some good news:

Use ANY reversal film (or film that can be developed as a film positive) in
this camera.  That "limits" you to the remaining Kodachrome 64, almost all
the E-6 films (Velvia, Provia, Sensia, Ektachrome, etc.) or black and white
film developed as a film positive (such as DR5).

Just use a separate exposure meter, and set the camera lens and shutter
speeds accordingly.  One note: since the camera has a fairly limited shutter
speed range, select your film carefully, depending on the likely light
conditions.

Also, please make sure that you indicate that the film should NOT be mounted
in standard 35mm frames.  You will need to mount it yourself in 35mm stereo
frames for viewing.  In the 50s-80s, stereo mounting was available with
regular processing.  Today, you'll have to source the mounts on the internet
and do it yourself.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA

PS.  ASA10 was the speed of Kodachrome when this camera was new--and
Kodachrome (for most people) was the only game in town for color slides. ASA
16 was the speed of Type A Kodachrome, used indoors with photoflood (3200K)
light.