Subject: [Leica] Epson 1400 BO printing
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 05:11:13 -0700 (PDT)

Geez, Mark, when do you sleep?

Geoff's right, I'm looking to use an aftermarket pigmented inkset for
dedicated B&W printing.

The thing about the 1400 is that Best Buy stocks them, and will replace the
dead 1280 with it for no extra cost. And, after the initial setup, the MIS
inks for the 1400 costs a fraction of the epson inks.
I'd love to get the 2400, which appears to do great B&W right out of the box
(instead of having to screw around with Quad Tone Rip and ICC's, like I'll
have to with the 1400) but I can't justify the cost of operation, and Best
Buy doesn't carry them.

The reviews I've seen on the 1400 for BO printing vary from people swearing
it's the best thing since canned soup to the usual complaints of having to
send 2 back to epson before getting one that worked.
Paul Roarke is OK with it, which is a pretty good endorsement; I was just
wondering if anyone around here had taken this route after their 1280's went
belly-up.