Subject: [Leica] Today's internet outages
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:35:17 -0700

This article in the San Francisco Chronicle does a pretty good job of
explaining what happened today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/09/BAP816VTE6.DTL

The San Carlos cut on Old County Road is about 3 miles from where I work, so
I drove over to have a look. Based on what I saw, I am 100% certain that
this vandalism was performed by a professional fiber installer or maintainer
and not a terrorist.

There were at least 100 people involved in fiber repair operations when I
visited about 3pm PDT. And about 20 to 30 trucks, including splice trucks,
winches, cable spoolers, directional drilling equipment, and spare conduit
supplies. You could tell that FEMA was not involved in managing this
emergency.

The fiber via which LUG pictures are displayed was spliced and restored
about 4pm EDT. I don't know how many are still awaiting repair.