Subject: [Leica] Camera Show Report
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:06:19 -0400

I saw virtually nothing there in line that would qualify as mint--it was
generally Ex++ or less, used carefully but certainly not terribly worn.  In
other words, about what you expect to see at most camera shows.

What did surprise me was the sheer volume of stuff that consumers were
offering for sale.  If there were very few vendors and a ton of people
flogging stuff from their closets and Zero Halliburton cases, it doesn't
argue well for the continued health of the show.  I hope this wasn't an
indication the used photo gear shows have entered their supernova stage--the
big flare-up before burning out.

Some comments that there were very few folks signed up for the LHSA Spring
Shoot.  Darn, if I could get to Memphis I would, but finances and work
project demand immediate attention.

There were a number of Leica items floating around with Golden Touch repair
receipts attached...and a few sellers were quite surprised to find that they
couldn't expect a premium price for somewhat recent servicing.  Of course,
to me that's not news--witness the number of restored autos I've seen, where
the restoration costs are almost never recouped at the sale.

Jim