Subject: [Leica] Flash lifespan
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:00:30 -0700

>From 2000 to 2002 I worked on a project with NASA to upgrade the computers
>and networks that were used in the International Space Station. One of
>NASA's axioms, based on their experience thus far, was that anything that
>went up to be used by astronauts needed to be fitted with flash memory
>because NASA believed that flash stood the best chance of long-term
>survival in harsh space conditions.

It is now 7 years later and possibly they believe something else now (the
group has dispersed) but I continue to believe that flash memory is
extremely rugged and reliable.

You can wear it out by using it too much, but that's another story.

Wasn't it EPROMs that were erased with a giant flash, despite what Toshiba's
press office says? Flash is electrically erasable; EPROMs use optical (UV)
erasure.

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Flash lifespan)
Reply from scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Flash lifespan)