Subject: [Leica] PESO: Scrapple Queue
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 06:44:02 -0700

Tina said:

Subject: Re: [Leica] PESO: Scrapple Queue

>>>I made the mistake of telling my neighbor in Kentucky that I wanted to

make some scrapple.  I went out on the porch early one morning and there

was a basket there covered with newspaper.  I uncovered the basket and a

pig's head stared back at me!  After I got over the shock, I boiled the

pig's head and made enough scrapple to share with several neighbors.  It

was delicious!<<<

Hi Tina.

OK Scrapple?

Now I think I have an idea of what you folks are talking about, maybe? As a
10-11 year old I went to work on a farm during the school summer holidays in
south western Ontario, Canada.  One day the farmer said something about a
pig, do him etc. I don't want to spoil some of your touchy stomachs so early
in the morning so we'll leave off the rest of the description! ! :-) :-)

Next thing I knew there was this big pigs head in the kitchen and the
Grandma was going at it with a huge knife.

Eventually I was offered a big chunk of what they called.. "Headcheese!!"
Bloody marvelous !!!!!!!!!!

Today we still have a sandwich or two of "Head Cheese" we buy at one of the
large food chain stores. Not as good as the early days, but not bad,
certainly when you don't think about what it might be and enjoy the flavor.

So are we talking about the same thing. Scrapple and Head Cheese? Given the
thoughts one might have about eating it, don't think about it.

Much like first eating Sushi. Do not ask what it is, try it and if you like
it nothing else matters. Until later, maybe? ;-)  When you discover it was
raw sea urchin.. Or other item.  If near choke right there, do not do as I
did. "throw-up!" OOPS!  Sorry about that. ;-) But all the rest I eat until I
can't move. Love it. Of course several servings of Saki to help wash it down
is one of the major ingredients of the enjoyment. :-0

So is Scrapple the same as Head Cheese?

Thanks,

Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Ken Frazier) ([Leica] PESO: Scrapple Queue)