Subject: [Leica] no more R9 and R lenses
From: alal at duke.poly.edu (Akhil Lal)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:08:50 -0500 (EST)

When I spoke to Ms Harbets last year she was not very clear on meter
coupling and auto stop-down operation of existing R lenses with the
digital R. It was apparent that many design details of the R10 had not
been finalised.

I am expecting that the r10 will use electronic coupling between the body
and the new line of lenses, in the manner pioneered by the EOS system, and
as used in the S2. In that case it is difficult to see how the electronic
contacts in the R10 will be able to couple to the mechanical linkages in
current R lenses. One possiblity is that leica will build into the R10 a
parallel mechanical system of cams and feelers for use with legacy lenses.
The other is that Leica will offer some sort of electromechanical adapter
that will go between the body and legacy lenses. Of course the simplest
way for Leica to do it, and the worst case for current R owners, is that
current R lense will have the same degree of functionality on the R10, as
they do on an EOS, ie. they will mount on the new body but will not couple
in any way. Let's hope Leica does not take that route.