Subject: [Leica] no more R9 and R lenses
From: alal at duke.poly.edu (Akhil Lal)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:42:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, wildlightphoto at earthlink.net wrote:

> Akhil Lal wrote:
>

> In that case it is difficult to see how the electronic
> contacts in the R10 will be able to couple to the mechanical linkages in
> current R lenses. One possiblity is that leica will build into the R10 a
> parallel mechanical system of cams and feelers for use with legacy lenses.
> <<<<
>
> Also possible.  It's interesting to note the construction of many newer R
> lenses includes an aperture ring / mount module that may be removed with
> (usually) four screws.  The only moving part connecting this module and the
> rest of the lens is an aperture control lever.  Suppose this module could
> be replaced with an electronic control module?  The new module would have
> the new contacts and a motor to move the aperture control lever.  100%
> speculation on my part, but feasible.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Interesting to hear this. I have not taken apart any of my R lenses. Do
you know which lenses use this type of construction? That will still leave
a whole set of older lenses that may or may not work.

I do recall trying out the 180/2.8 Apo lens many years ago and noticed it
moved only one lens element to focus. It was AF ready, I suppose.