Subject: [Leica] It's just sooooo pretty
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:39:01 +1000

Doug I agree that the commemorative camera is insignificant against Leica's
R&D costs and may generate some income.  This looks to be nothing more than
different paint, body covering and markings in a presentation box. Not of
any interest to me as a practical camera certainly but I don't see any
reason to not make collectibles available for those folks that like them.
Regarding the S2, Maike Harbets and Dr Kaufmann have both repeatedly stated
that the technology will be of benefit for future Leica cameras with the R10
to follow the S2 as you know. Meanwhile we have had nine new M lenses over
15 months (figures from Erwin Puts).
Gary, you can buy a nice M8 for about $3000 currently, I think!