Subject: [Leica] OT Nikon D700
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:03:50 -0500

The M8 is the first out camera for Leica of this hugely new technology.
When such thing like that happens I give a company some leeway.
And in this case I don't necessarily invest in the product.

What was the reliability of the first out Nikon F does anybody know I don't.
Id assume there were a few teething pains.

It was supposed to have knocked the entire photo industry on its ass making
rangefinder cameras "obsolete" yet the Magnum people and many other of the
best people had a Leica M in their camera bag. In the same camera bag as a
Leica M.
Leica and Nikon goes to gather like peanut butter and jelly.
Brussel sprouts and butter.

Most recreantly in my mind I think of how like Leica Nikon started out as a
lens company. Ok Leica was a microscope company but close enough.
And both came out of WW1. Neither were really camera companies.

The Nikon Corporation was established in 1917.
Oskar Barnack made the first Leica prototype for E. Leitz Optische Werke,
Wetzlar, in 1913 and started production in 1925

WW1 was 1914 to 1919

Read the Nikon system book by by Peter Brackzo or Rotoloni and they've got a
Viso thing in there and the rangefinder glass ported over to SLR versions
and all the Macro gizmos just like the Leica collection books showing the
amazingly extensive system.

Now When you get a Nikon you can pretty much assume its going to work.
I think even more so than a new Canon. With the internet this stuff is
easier to track.

When the Leica M9 comes out its going to have a whole lot less bugs than the
M8.
They've been there; done that.

Mark William Rabiner