Subject: [Leica] French to legislate image retouching
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:48:09 -0400

I always found it a bit irksome that as photographers we rely on the power
of imagery yet deny that power exists if outcomes are called into
question.  I'll always advocate that images have more power then we tend to
give credit and inform our thinking in ways which are not easily
identified.  Adolescent boys are also victims here as may well be more
affected judging from some of the indicators.  Now, I doubt that glossy
magazines and photoshop are the sole cause of the ever increasing
prevalence of adolescent self-mutilation and suicide (suicide being the
number 3 leading cause of death behind accidents (mostly motor-vehicle) and
cancer) for 10-15 year olds, but one can't help wondering about the
exploding "tween" markets, all the $$$$ to be made, and the across the
board disregard to child safety.  Instead of exploding gas tanks and
cigarets we have false and manipulating advertising packaged for the sole
purpose to convince young girls and boys they must look, act, feel, do ABC
or they won't be popular, fit in, have friends, be desirable, etc.  It's
bad enough this is so prevalent for adults but leave the kids alone.  This
"tween" market advertisers are so eager to exploit amounts to a giant
psychological experiment.  It's best to keep you kids out of the lab and
certainly don't contribute to it if you can, although I have lost the
Disney battle at my house, I still don't have cable TV.

chs2018 at med.cornell.edu

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] French to legislate image retouching)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] French to legislate image retouching)
Message from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] French to legislate image retouching)