Subject: [Leica] IMG: Latin or Greek
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:48:21 -0400

The Latin phrase just above the door is a quotation from Swedenborg:
"That one may now enter intellectually into the mysteries of faith",
or "So you may now enter with your intellect into the mystery of
faith", or some similar colloquial translation. More literally, word
by word, "Now [nunc, adverb] let one be permitted [licet, third person
singular present tense subjunctive, a root of the English word
license] intellectually [intellectualiter, adverb] to enter [intrare,
infinitive] into [in] the mysteries [arcana, plural, cognate of
English arcane and arcana] of faith [fidei, singular genitive case
third declension noun].

I hope you're taking notes. Test at the end of the chapter.

Is this a Swedenborgian church?

My Greek isn't so good, though. Nonexistent.

--howard