Subject: [Leica] Re: Fair use
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sun Feb 22 14:47:50 2009

> The Supreme Court has ruled that satire, if obviously such,
> is not protected by copyright.

Umm, I'm not sure about that, exactly; what I was getting at is that the
source material for the satire, parody, or spoof is unprotected. I think
that's what you meant, Marc, I just wanted to clarify.

The question of artist's sourcing from found objects and images is a large
part of the history of Modernism, and all subsequent art movements. I wonder
if the guy who took the head-shot of Lauren Becall that Joseph Cornell used
in his box-homage to her thought he could sue, just to finger one of a
gazillion possible examples.

On the other hand, Jeff Koons has a win-one, lose-one record, for using
found photos. The win is more recent, and is seen as a reversal of the
earlier loss (see Rogers v. Koons, & Blanch v. Koons)