Subject: [Leica] IMG: Painting Question
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon Feb 16 08:55:29 2009

Hi, George,

Thanks for your comments.  I finally tracked down the artist from the
signature "Kiley".  The painting was done by Grace Kirby Wiley, who used a
contraction of her maiden name and married name as her signature. She was
born in 1877 and died in 1952.  She began her art education in her home town
of Smith's Grove, KY and then attended the Cincinnati School of Art.  The
example of her work that is on display at the Kentucky Museum, which shows
the same signature as mine, is listed as "Oil on board".  I suspect that the
times in which she lived led her to experiment with readily available
materials.

My Mother's aunt, who gave her the painting, also lived in the same little
town and obviously knew the artist.  I think the example that we have is
much nicer than the one on display in the museum.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA