Subject: [Leica] my first Leica
From: del at pscc.com (David E. Labovitz)
Date: Sat Feb 14 18:00:03 2009

My own first Leica was a model D with a collapsible 2.5/50 Hektor lens
that I picked up at a Providence pawn shop when I was a college
freshman.   Its only drawback was that it had no strap lugs, so had to
live in and out of a compact leather case.  It went missing from my car
while I was stationed at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1959, but I recently
found a  sibling that has a 3.5/50 Elmar but is otherwise about the same.

My first camera was not the Leica D but a ~1937 Rolleiflex that I seem
at the moment to have misplaced.  Ah, well...  Its most memorable
feature was a sports finder with a concave mirror at the center of the
metal viewing frame.  Focusing your eye in the mirror ensured that the
field of view was what the camera would see.

Brian and I worked together during an early and successful attempt to
prove that computers (or, rather, programmers) could out-perform
professional rate agents and analysts when it came to complex domestic
and international air fares and airline scheduling.  Brian moved on to
even more esoteric endeavors a couple of years later but I have always
valued his friendship and his tireless efforts to see and perform beyond
any reasonable expectation.

Needless to say, Leica cameras have always been part of the formula.