Subject: [Leica] Facebook
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Feb 13 09:43:14 2009

The images are amazing.
The pix people get of their faces to throw up their as their Facebook
profile.
Way better then anything anybody ever paid me big money for.
People are much better at photographing themselves.
Its editing
And timing.
As its WHEN the shot is taken not what you're wearing.
The WHEN meaning not which moment of a shot but which day of what year of
what decade shot by which friend.

Many of my long time and way back friends from Portland are on it and I
didn't even know they knew each other; They do now regardless. I for sure
didn't think so before.
I never liked the look of Myspace and never tried it but Facebook has me
back in touch with old friends and I've made some new ones.
But "friend" means a different thing with Facebook you wonder what it means.
As plenty of people are collecting them. Friends.

One of the new definitions of "Friend" because of Facebook influence might
be:

1. Someone you hated in college and you hope you never have to have a real
non digital cup of coffee with ever again.

2. Someone who knows someone who knows someone you know and you hope you
never have to meet and might cross the street to avoid.'

So your "Friends" are not your friends anymore but it all evens out.
There are positive kinds of Facebook friends.

It made my birthday a lot less of a bummer it might have been as I start out
here in NY not knowing many people.

I'm having fun shuffling my Facebook profile picture around. I change it all
too often. An attention getting device. I'm not putting up any pictures at
least yet.

I'm not all flattered when someone who's got hundreds of friends comes up
out of the blue and want to be my friend. I'll even not do so you hate to
mildly insult a total stranger who you're never going to meet but with 2000
friends they can take it.

What would really happen if a person really did have 2000 friends?!?!?
A nightmare!!!

Facebook is a phenomenon. We can say anything we want about it but its new
very big thing in our culture.

I have 46 friends. Amazing!
Some people have 460.
I heard just yesterday they made an arbitrary limit of 5000.
I'm not hoping to have that many at all friends.
And will limit them to people who I'd think at some point I might have a
real cup of coffee with. Or hope to.

It's interesting to see how people define themselves and how their friends
do.
And what they're into.
I get up in the morning and I check my email and check my Facebook usually
in that order.

You can key into your high school friends; your college friends all kinds of
categories. My Choir friends.

I remember thinking: I wonder if I'll ever have ten friends!
Hey I'm way past that now!!!

Well I'm off to the meeting of the cult they've formed around me.
If I don't show up they'll cry in their real not digital coffee.

I don't think they're much of a spam issue.

Mark William Rabiner