Subject: [Leica] ONT: prescient m8 exif
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Jan 22 13:44:55 2009

The camera body does recognise a WATE (which are all 6 bit, I believe). With
lens detection ON, the menu then pops up an option for manually selecting
which focal length you are using. It defaults to 24 mm if you do not make a
selection. This is good because you can code a Zeiss 18mm as a WATE and it
records 24mm and processes the Raw file just fine. Very handy if you cannot
justify paying for the WATE (now over 10,000 here!)
The camera cannot detect which focal length you have manually selected in
this specific case.
You do require the  frame-lines actuation as well as the coding. Even though
you cannot use the internal finder with the WATE. Actually it activates the
28/90 lines but you can't use them for framing. The frame line actuation is
an AND operation with the 6 bit code.
I have not handled the earlier Tri-Elmar. I believe that it had a much more
complex mechanism and does select the correct internal frame line
(28-35-50).