Subject: [Leica] Dehumanizing portraits?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sun Jan 18 18:13:16 2009

both of the putins are good or great.

the wide angles are sometimes effective, GHW bush is nice, and the kerry
picture works nicely with that diagonal on the bottom.

but the obama portrait is not flattering, the wider lens
makes the nose more prominent (though the ears do recede).
maybe it was intended to imply lincoln, who had large features.
generally speaking, getting too close to your subject is not
flattering, which is why us provincial fuddy duddies grab
something near 2x"normal" focal length for head shots.

gore, rove and spitzer look like they had their portraits made
on xerox machines.

on the other hand, he's got the only flattering photo i've ever seen
of dean.  "YAH!!"  and the only unflattering photo of edwards.

compared with that "baby photographer" who shot those mccains, this
guy is at least professional, and doesn't seem to be disdainful
of his subjects.

OTOH i'd be concerned if i went to a portrait sitting and the photograher
was on the floor, shooting up through my spread legs.  you'd think
wj clinton and spitzer would figure this out.  the coulter
full figure at least was taken at a distance, but i read somewhere
that she wasn't happy, because they made her shoes look like
size 13s.

-rei