Subject: [Leica] Re: Dehumanizing Portraits
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Sun Jan 18 17:18:59 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Brian Reid wrote:

> > > The New York Times magazine just ran a set of portraits of "Obama's
> > > People"
> > >
> > >  http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/magazine/2009-inauguration-
> > > gallery/index.html
> > >
> > > It feels to me as though the photographer went out of his way to
> > > make all of his subjects look unnatural and bizarre. They are posed
> > > awkwardly, the lighting is very peculiar, the camera angles are
> > > unusual, and the subjects were usually photographed off-guard.
> > >
> > > What does anybody else think? Was the photographer here trying to
> > > create a negative perception of these people?

Brian,

You certainly brought up a subject that resonated with a lot of LUGgers and
engendered a goodly number of responses. And, gratefully, there were hardly
any having to do with equipment. For my two cents, one of the pursuits of
art, its holy grails, is the pursuit of the thing itself. As Edward Weston
wrote: "The camera should be used for a recording of life, for rendering the
very substance and quintessence of the thing itself, whether it be polished
steel or palpitating flesh."

These photos may very well indeed be palpitating flesh. But they are direct
and honest views of the individuals photographed. You have to take note that
some are framed tight, some loose. I've just finished a large portrait
session of bank executives, albeit with more dramatic lighting, and the
framing varies. I think this photographer worked hard. Some of the
selections may be due to the editing process given that there is a
difference between pictures and their framing. The use of the direct light
and plain background give us only the subject as subject; that and their
universal cues about human emotion. I think this is a pretty tight "shoot"
and it was well-executed particularly given the variables and logistics of
schedule and travel. With those limitations, too, you want to have
simplified set-up and equipment as you know you're only going to get to work
with the subject for a few mintutes.

I also think that we fall into "canonic" ideas about what a picture/portrait
should be; conventional ideas; idealized and formulaic notions about
lighting, positioning, viewpoint. In an image-saturated world these get seen
and forgotten fast.

While I think it appropriate to question the esthetic values that underly
the making of these pictures, I don't know that it's appropriate to infer
that they're of nefarious intent. See Rimbaud quote below.

--
Carl Sander Socolow
Socolow Photography

Inventing the unknown calls for new forms.
   A. Rimbaud

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and
document(s) attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and may
contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If the
recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
email or its contents in any way.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Re: Dehumanizing Portraits)