Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 18 16:46:21 2009

Bob offered & asked:

Subject: RE: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure

>>>what are you using to look at the photos, and are you shooting RAW?

If you're shooting jpeg it's probably not a good technique. This is a

technique for raw.

If you look at the screen on the back of the camera it will certainly look

very washed out. It's important to bear in mind that this technique requires

post-processing of the raw files.

I'll try and find a useful example and post details.<<<<

Bob,

I set the ASA for whatever, look through view finder like a real
photographer, see subject, camera focuses. I go click! Picture taken in RAW
setting.

Eventually card inserted in slot of computer, Lightroom down loads, I check
image, twiddle a couple of things for a tweak of improvement by eye and send
to Photoshop where I finish it off into a folder.  Make 13X19 print!
Beautiful!!!!! I don't think it's any simpler than that? It maybe if one is
into the techie stuff, I'm not, never have been for over 50 years shooting
film and everything always worked.

My big fear with digital is.TOOOOO  much techie. not enough "see-shoot"
successful pictures due to, too much techie thought stuff cluttering the
mind instead of going, "click!

Tina gave me the suggestion for -1/3, showed me how to do it and I
immediately saw a better image.

Then I got daring on my own and went to -2/3 and some of the images began to
look like the thousands of Kodachrome slides full of rich saturated colour
from bygone years on assignments.

I've done my photography for over a half a century as basic as .
see-shoot-print! I couldn't tell you what the developer does other than it
makes negatives.. How? Hey I don't care as long as it did! All the other
chemicals etc were the same. No need to know how it did it. If it screwed
up, then look in the book and find the answer.

KISS! A wonderful philosophy with digital! As long as one is getting the
quality of image reproduction required to satisfy the "paying client" and
ones own gut feelings.. Don't mess with what yer doing!

Actually here's a manner in how I am when learning.

Tell me and I will forget.

Show me and I may remember.

Involve me and I will remember.

Confuse me and "I'm dead!"