Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 18 14:04:29 2009

Subject: Re: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure

Lee offered:

> Seth recommended, therefore, setting the exposure compensation in most
cameras to +1/3 or +2/3 of a stop. I have used this with all my Canons and
Leica's (digital) with good results.<<<<<<<<

Gene responded:

>>Interesting, as I have found that using +1/3 to +2/3 EV blows out the
highlights tremendously with my M8, whereas using -1/3 to -2/3 EV provides
more information to work with. <<<<

Hi Gene & Lee,

I'm the first to admit I'm not a technical whiz about all this stuff by
long shot. However after my discussions with Tina and she showing me
exposure adjustments at the Leica Seminar in Rockport it sure opened my eyes
to these adjustments.

+1/3 & +2/3 wow!

Lee I have to question what you are saying about +1/3 or +2/3 over exposure?
Is there a wild possibility you might have this reversed? If I were to do
this I'd lose frame after frame blown out! I just tried it with my M8 and a
Canon and it blew everything to hell and back! Like stuff was almost
completely washed out all over the place.

When I returned them to my normal shooting settings.. -1/3 & -2/3 BINGO!
Right back to as perfect as I like them to look and capture information. And
they print beautifully withal the stuff there I want to see.

So is it possible there is an error or misunderstanding in using + or - ?

Over to you guys,

ted

Replies: Reply from leica at web-options.com (Bob W) ([Leica] Question about M8 exposure)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Question about M8 exposure)