Subject: [Leica] FYI: NIkon price increases
From: crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall)
Date: Fri Jan 16 12:20:06 2009

Seth

One of the current fears for governments and cenral banks is
depression and deflation as in the 30s not stagflation as in the 70s.
Both inflation and deflation can see some prices increasing and some
decreasing; it is never a simple one way movement. What we will see is
a dramatic movement in relative prices - some going up and some going
down - and much of this will reflect movements in exchange rates. The
world will experience a severe shake out with winners and losers;
unfortunately the losers will dominate in the short run. At the moment
it is not clear governments are printing money but they are mortgaging
future income to bail out the debacle created by bad financial
institutions i.e. almost all of the current financial institutions.
The real problem is this may lengthen the depression albeit reduce its
depth. We don't know.

Chris B