Subject: [Leica] FILM VS DIGITAL! ???
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Thu Jan 15 00:18:53 2009

Interesting observations Ted.  Recently, I have found myself making 5x4
negatives, but rather than print them in the darkroom, I scan them and
print them digitally.  It's a lot less hassle and the results are
certainly as good, if not better than from the darkroom.

I do like to be able to retouch/spot negatives electronically.  It's so
much easier than spotting wet prints, which is a technique that I never
mastered.

Others have mentioned the Epson 3800. I can only agree with their
sentiments. One of these would knock your socks off.  We bought one late
last year as a 'special' Christmas present.  It's wonderful.
When our 2400 'died', I looked at replacing it with another A3 printer.
  Having looked at options from HP, Canon and Epson, I found that the
3800 was a better option on cost grounds.  Higher initial outlay will be
offset by the ink costs (and a ?150 rebate).  The 3800 has 80ml ink
tanks rather than the paltry amounts in the Epson (16ml IIRC).
  I reckon with the volume of prints that we make, that we will break
even in a year.

Now we have the 3800, I do seriously wonder whether I will feel the need
to make wet prints again.

I haven't looked at RIPs - do they really make much of a difference and
are they worth the cost?

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK