Subject: [Leica] Neopan Advice
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sun Jan 11 11:33:07 2009

While I've used virtually every developer I could find, including
some made from scratch, I always find my self back coming to D76 1:1,
or straight.
The Leica meter is essentially a spot meter. While not a one degree
spot, it is a partial spot meter.
When I used to shot with the R system, I tested their spot meters,
along that of my M6, against my digital Honeywell spot meter. The
meter was serviced by George Milton, so I knew that it was dead on.
The leica meters matched the Honeywell just about dead-on.
I meter for the shadows at 200ISO, and maybe close down 1 stop. Then
I pull my processing around 25%. That would make a 12 minute
development time something around 10 minutes.
I use steel tanks for development. Those create another issue, that
of raising the temperature another couple of degrees, from one's hand
temperature, and if not water jacketed. That will off set the time
adjustment.
Some shooters that I know have had better luck with filtration at
hight altitudes, along with metering for the shadows. Adams covers
that in one of his books, with sample exposures.
With my digital, I still use their in camera version of exposure
compensation, due to the bright glare of the ocean, or an industrial
site. Concrete and open dirt can really test one's metering abilities.
sd