Subject: [Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago (George Lottermoser)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Wed Jan 7 16:35:15 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 5:52 PM, George wrote:

> Sometimes practicing is just practicing.
> Keep the chops up;
> Just in case a gig comes up;
> and I can actually find the groove.

Funny you should mention this.

When I was doing a fair amount of session work as a guitar player I
was a total suckup, eager to deliver a quick serving of stock sounds
and cliche phrases.

After those situations became less frequent I morphed into a kindof
"artiste" type who just played the parts the way I thought they
should be, and if a producer didn't like it, too bad.  At that point
I was doing enough college teaching so that I could afford to
alienate clients in the name of feeling like I had some kindof identity.

Ironically, I did a session last month for a tune intended for
Barack's inaugural. It was such a huge production that I made a
conscious decision to just give them essentially perfect 1st takes
that sounded like what they would expect to hear in that particular
place in the track, which also meant much more "playing it safe" than
I'm used to these days. And y'know what?  In this case the regular
drill was the right tool for the job.  Here's a link to a video of
that session; I think the singing is completely off the hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mhMYr17iwk

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago (George Lottermoser))
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Regarding those snaps of a few days ago (George Lottermoser))