Subject: [Leica] Re: Centenary? warning, collector stuff!
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Jan 3 01:54:15 2009

I am one who could confirm that Canon and Nikon could -not- do better.
I have collected cameras for years and, in amongst my collection I
have an early Leica, in fact one of the last of the prototypes which
are, as you would expect, the same as the first production cameras. I
also own one of the first Canons (normally known as Hansa Canons but
mine is not marked Hansa) which is of very considerably poorer quality
material. I have an early Nikon too, which is much better made than
the Canon but still less good, IMO than the early Leica. I am sure
they are both cheaper to make.
What is interesting is that the Leica is from 1923, The Canon from
1935 and the Nikon from 1949. The Leica is completely original in
concept and construction. The Canon has some original features but
they soon returned to making Leica copies. The Nikon is, effectively,
a Contax body with Leica shutter.
One could reason that the lenses all have roots with Zeiss. The Leica
anastigmat is a minimally disguised Tessar, The Nippon Kogaku lens
fitted to the Canon is an undisguised Tessar, pretty well all early
Nippon Kogaku (Nikon) camera lenses were Zeiss copies of Topagon,
Tessar and Sonnar designs originally.
Frank