Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams - Erwitt's statement
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Tue Dec 23 15:28:18 2008

Worth remembering, though, that in their time the pictorialists were
cutting-edge, and realistic. PH Emerson's photos are well worth looking at
from a documentary point of view. They were in revolt against the
establishment of the time and the practice of photographers such as Henry
Peach Robinson, who constructed their photographs, in much the same way that
some people do now with Photoshop. There's a very, very good book about PH
Emerson called The Old Order and The New which I can recommend very highly
for a reappraisal of Emerson, a great photographer.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/emerson/

The problem with pictorialism was that it went much the same way as the
rocks and logs school of f/64 with a mass of untalented people following
slavishly to the point where any originality or creativity was long gone and
all that came after was trite cliche.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Bob

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams - Erwitt's statement)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams - Erwitt's statement)