Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Dec 22 20:53:36 2008

On: Sun, 21 Dec 2008  "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
>...snip..

>But then I get big goose bumps of admiration over the photography of
>Eisenstaedt, Ralph Morse, George Silk and the others of the early years of
>LIFE! Now they were real photographers and masters of the photographic
>moments!
>ted
Hey Ted, me too!  I grew up on LIFE magazine in the fifties.  I am so glad
my parents
subscribed (they got TIME, too).  It formed my view of photography I think.
I've accumulated a lot of photo books, and among my favorites are two from
TIME-LIFE -  "Famous LIFE Photographers", and" How LIFE Gets the Story".
Among the unforgettable images in the latter book is one taken by Joe
Scherschel
a mile underground in a tunnel, of a man up to his chest in 100+ degree
water.
The picture shows water damage to the negative, and makes me shudder to think
about being in there, trying to breathe and produce photos to boot.

BTW, I've got a Canadian photo annual from 1968, I think, that has work by
a certain Mr. Ted Grant.  (These books are in the other room, and since I've
got two cats sleeping on my lap, I don't want to disturb them to get up and
check the details)

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee