Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon Dec 22 20:33:09 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 "Geoff Hopkinson" <hoppyman@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>Alan, I'm totally baffled by that statement.
>Your whole universe is about technical excellence is it not? Do you mean
>you
>aren't interested in landscape photography? HCB made a similar statement
>about Ansel Adams. Perhaps you worship at that church? I've just been to
>the
>Ansel Adams gallery in Yosemite and more importantly some of the places
>where he created magical photographs. I can't think of anything more
>inspiring or uplifting for me. I have NEVER been more emotional as a
>photographer than to see valley view with swirling snow clouds around the
>mountains.
Baffled?  Don't you find you like the work of certain photographers and not
others?
I'm interested in landscape photographs that I like.  Tonight I brought out
my copy of
"The Portfolios of Ansel Adams" NYGS, 1977, and there are only four pictures
in
it that I'd like to look at repeatedly: Roots 1948, Oak Tree, Snow Storm
1948,
Trees and Snow 1933, and Winter Storm (Yosemite) 1944.  This last one IS
inspiring, and I would be impressed with Yosemite too, I think (I've never
been there).
I guess my taste runs more toward urban photography.  My favorite
photographers
are Elliott Erwitt, Gene Smith, Tony Ray-Jones, Andre Kertesz, Josef Sudek,
David
Plowden, and yes, HCB.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978