Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Mon Dec 22 11:46:59 2008

That's not for me to decide - email Elliott Erwitt and ask him to explain
himself.

However, I do think that subject matter is the first and most important
aspect of photography; technique is secondary to subject matter. A great
many fine art photographers appear to think that technique is more important
than subject, which is one reason why there are so many beautifully printed
but boring pictures of dried up logs beside lakes, and so few exciting but
technically bad pictures of the D-Day landings.

Another Magnum photographer, David Hurn, has some interesting things to say
about the primacy of subject matter in 'On Being a Photographer'.

Bob

Replies: Reply from octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams)
Reply from lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adams)