Subject: [Leica] S2 Lenses MTF & Resolutions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Dec 21 13:22:47 2008

Its sensor is 52% bigger than 24x36 format so as a rule of thumb you could
think the quality of the final image is going to be 52% better.
Glass is great but the bottom line will always be format format format.

But the S2 has got optics big time.

Thing is they could have had Mamiya or some very above average company do
the glass and the system would STILL have a huge edge over full frame
24x36mm format digital shooters and still be a sensation.

The key issue being can you kiss off Leica R glass?
And with a great amount of imagination they said "sure we can".
And then not be bound to the 24x36 format.
And then be able to kick ass big time with a camera system which can make
images which will leave FF Nikon Canon even with jacked up resolutions in
the dust.

But by not using above average Mamiya or Fuji glass but pie in the sky Leica
built in Solms glass it just totally clinched it.

For cutting edge fashion photographers who don't like shooting with boxes.
All 300 of them in the entire world.

Its going to appeal to some other people too I'm sure.

Harry Noblitz from Lincoln Nebraska for one.
He sold his house a few years ago and can't figure out what to do with all
the money just knows he loves clicking away at his grandkids and the
squirrels in his back yard behind his trailer.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner