Subject: [Leica] un-believable - now off-topic and long-ish
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sat Dec 20 08:44:20 2008

Rabs, I'll quarrel with you on one (non-photographic) point only: Cadillac
is today in the business of building world-class cars. Cadillac build
quality is better than anything coming from Mercedes-Benz short of the
S-class and it is as good as the S. Cadillac build quality is at least as
good as anything BMW, Lexus or Audi builds today. None of these is a Bentley
or Rolls which are analagous to Leica, superb quality but less than leading
technology - until the S2.

I'm a car nut, raced a little TR-3 when I was in the Navy and a Porsche
Super 90 when I lived in Paris. My first car was a 1950 flat-head V-8 Ford
when I was in college and I didn't own another American car until a
mid-1990's Ford Taurus SHO. In between I have owned a top-line Rover, 2
top-line Peugeots, 2 top-line BMW's and 5 Ferraris - all bought 'pre-owned'
(read: well-used!) and sold at a profit.
Four years ago I test drove two pre-production Cadillac STS sedans and said
to myself, wow! these cars are sensational, not only wonderful performance
and handling but outstanding build quality, e.g. body gaps to tighter
tolerances than either M-B, BMW or Lexus. And decided to consider buying one
when I needed to replace my SHO. Two years ago I bought a Cadillac STS-V.
I've run this car on the track at Watkins Glen. It is the best car I have
ever driven. But it is limited production (fewer than 2,000/year) and given
the salt and sand they spread on roads hereabouts (it began to snow
yesterday morning, hasn't stopped and still is - maybe 16 inches on the
ground) I store it during the winter. So last winter with the odometer on
the Ford well into six figures and not wanting to risk breakdown given our
weather, I needed a replacement. Intended to buy a new Chevy Malibu,
MotorTrend magazine 2008 Car of the Year. Test drove it and loved it. But
the salesman asked if I wanted to test drive the new Cadillac CTS. I did and
the price difference at that time was not huge so I am now the only
one-person two Cadillac family I know. The CTS is slightly smaller and
certainly not as powerful as the STS-V but it has the same world-class build
quality and I've also driven my CTS on the Watkins Glen race track and it is
quite extraordinary.

Just as extraordinary for GM to have turned itself around as they have. I've
gotten sick to my stomach at the trashing of GM and Ford that the
grotesquely uninformed Senators and media geniuses have carried out during
the last month. Both Companies have already transformed themselves (I can't
speak about Chrysler as I do not know their products) and have been caught
in the economic catastrophe caused by the criminals who have run the banks
and investment banks and come close to destroying the world economy. End of
rant.

Seth