Subject: [Leica] un-believable
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Dec 19 22:36:57 2008

Is a Chevy car a Leica M7?

Does Detroit make premium luxury items?

Is Leica detroit?

Does Leica made middle of the road for the masses  mass produced units
(cars)?

What color was George Washington's white horse?

The only luxury model Detroit has I can think of is a Cadillac.
And a Cadillac is not a Leica
A Cadillac is a flagship Nikon or Canon.

The LUG would teach us after being on it for any length at all that Leica is
a premium company not competing against mass produced cameras.
Leica makes in effect hand builds using the top materials for people who
settle for nothing but the best and are willing to amass that kind of money
for it.

A Leica is a Mercedes or BMW or Audi or Lexus or Porsche.
Detroit has had no interest in Leica quality that I'm aware of.
I guess if you don't count Ford buying Jaguar.
- I'm not that versed in the goings on on cars.

That said 20,000 euros is a bit more than anyone I know has to spend on a
camera no matter what it is or does body only and I know some pretty wealthy
photogs and photo bugs. I can't think of anyone planning on getting one. I
assume they'll be for rent but how a company can stay afloat on this kind of
business is beyond me.

Rabs

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com) ([Leica] un-believable)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] un-believable - now off-topic and long-ish)