Subject: [Leica] Re: Grand Canyon snow
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Dec 15 15:30:27 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Hoppy wrote:

> Dear Steve, please contact someone in state government and have the
> heat
> turned up for Arizona. We just got back from the Grand Canyon and
> nearly
> froze our a**es off! I didn't even know that thermometers went down
> below 0
> on your Fahrenheit scale!
> Cheers
> temporarily Arizonian Hoppy

I guess you didn't get down to river level. About 20 years ago we
rafted down the Grand Canyon length of Colorado River in the middle
of April. True to your experience, there was a couple of feet of snow
on the rim but at river level the temperature was in the balmy 80s.
We camped out in pop tents and went swimming in the calm pools of
water. Apparently the sunlight gets reflected off the canyon walls
and is concentrated at the base. Sort of like a solar collector. In
retrospect, I'm glad we didn't do it in August. The water must be
boiling then.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Grand Canyon snow)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: Grand Canyon snow)